3 Young Men Die Due To Anaphylaxis

The recent deaths of three young men stemming from fatal peanut allergy reactions is now serving as a frightening reminder to parents of children with food allergies.

Oakland University student 19-year-old Chandler Swink died after being in a coma for more than a week after he came into contact with peanut butter cookies. When he started having a reaction, Chandler injected himself with an EpiPen and drove himself to a nearby hospital, where he was found unconscious in the parking lot.  Doctors told Chandler’s relatives that he simultaneously suffered anaphylactic shock, an asthma attack and cardiac arrest.

Milwaukee teenager Jaime Mendoza, 16, also died after having an allergic reaction to peanuts. He also was at a friend’s house eating a cookie that he thought was chocolate chip, but it was actually peanut butter.  Jaime suddenly became short of breath, but sadly, did not carry an epinephrine auto-injector. He died later in the hospital on Thanksgiving.

Sacramento California, 29 year old, Casey Ryan also suffered a fatal allergic reaction- this time caused by peanut oil. Casey was rushed to hospital where he was kept in an induced coma until his death a week later.

These terrible tragedies highlight the need for all food allergy sufferers to be prepared at all times and ensure they have emergency action plans in place.

 

Speak Your Mind

*

INFORMATION on triggerallergy.com IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE and any information or materials posted are intended for general informational purposes only. Any information posted on the web site is NOT a substitute for medical attention. Please see your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.