Students expelled after leaving teacher with deadly allergy in anaphylactic shock

An American teacher with a potentially fatal banana allergy was hospitalised after being attacked with the fruit by her students.

The art teacher, identified only as Mrs Woods, was working at Starling K-8 school in Columbus, Ohio when the cruel incident occurred last November.

The woman’s banana allergy is well known and so severe her classroom door bears a sign which reads “Banana Free Zone”.

It is accompanied by the clear message: “Mrs Woods is allergic to BANANAS! If you had one today, you must wash your hands before going into the art room. Thank you!”

But that didn’t deter a group of 12 and 13-year-olds from targeting her with a practical joke that seriously backfired.

The group of three students, two boys and one girl smeared bits of banana on Mrs Woods’ classroom door and doorknob, and later threw bananas at her once she was inside the room.

Within 15 minutes, the educator had gone into anaphylactic shock and emergency services was called.

Mrs Woods was rushed to hospital and thankfully recovered from her ordeal.

The students were charged with assault in juvenile court, were expelled and have since served probation.

Columbus City Schools spokesman Scott Wortman says the district hopes it was a “teachable moment” for the students involved and others about “the potentially life-threatening consequences of food allergies.”

Speak Your Mind


INFORMATION on IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE and any information or materials posted are intended for general informational purposes only. Any information posted on the web site is NOT a substitute for medical attention. Please see your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.